Welcome to Vintage Pocock

The Shellhouse Vintage Pocock Welcome to Vintage Pocock

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Keymaster

As you can imagine, a company with a history spanning more than 100 years has a lot of products out and about in the world. Among all the boats and oars that are still around, did you know that there are also javelins George made during World War II?!? It is true!

With the popularity of ‘The Boys in the Boat’ there has been a surge of people from inside and outside the rowing world trying to find more information about items in their possession that carry the ‘Built By George Pocock’ sticker. We hope this forum becomes THE place for rowing historians, cedar shell aficionados, interior decorators, antique dealers, woodworkers, craftsmen, and various other stakeholders interested in Pocock Racing Shells history and cedar shells to find answers and make connections.

Remember: Pictures are always helpful!

matt1984
    Participant

Thanks Andrea! I hope this becomes a great forum and resource for those interested in the cedar and pre-carbon classics.

Matt Cockburn

Andrea
    Keymaster

Thanks, Matt!

We look forward to collaborating more with you and the rest of the classics community!

matt1984
    Participant

Just thought I’d kick off some Classic cedar love here. This is Daisy.
    1975 Pocock Standard Single GPRCS1550575
    Once owned by the University of Washington and rowed by Eleanor McElvaine. Sold to Randi Krumm, who rowed the boat for many years. The boat is currently located at the University of Washington Canoe House.

Bridget Burke

Hi,

I just bought a Pocock double and it has a number stamped into a metal plate on it. The numbers are 534853. Can you tell me anything about the boat from this number?

Thanks.

Bridget

matt1984
    Participant

[quote quote=4666]Hi,

I just bought a Pocock double and it has a number stamped into a metal plate on it. The numbers are 534853. Can you tell me anything about the boat from this number?

Thanks.

Bridget

[/quote]

Hi Bridget, there should be a longer serial number on the hull on the starboard side near the stern. For example, here’s a serial number from a 1979 double: Pocock Double GPRAP212M79J

I hope that helps.

Matt

Jim Buckley
    Participant

Thanks for this Forum. I just became aware of it through Bridget and linked to it from the Pocock Classic Cedar Singles website at http://pocockclassic.org/links.html – Jim Buckley

CapnJonas
    Participant

I am in eastern North Carolina (Oriental) and working on restoring a mid-weight single probably made in the 60’s or 70’s (no ID). It spent most of its years on Philly’s Boat House Row. I’ve made the structural frame repairs and it needs a deck and to be re-finished. Would love to speak/write to someone knowledgeable about anything I should know.

maberkner
    Participant

I just came across an eight of about the same vintage as what I learned to row in. Really nice shape too. Serial # is GPRLZ8450274 I’m guessing its a ’74, and it does have some plastic fittings. It’s name is Maranatha and it’s been in Colorado for about 20 years. Any clues?

matt1984
    Participant

Hi maberkner,

Records from the cedar days are spotty at best. The name of the boat implies it was owned and rowed at a Christian school, though really hard to know.

Where was the boat last rowed?
    Anyone at the club know when it was acquired?

A lot of eights were purchased by TGI Fridays and spread throughout the country as decorations.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Vintage Pocock’ is closed to new topics and replies.