Seeking Information

The Shellhouse Vintage Pocock Seeking Information

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by matt1984.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Andrea
    Keymaster

This is an email we recently received. After you are done cringing;) , does anyone out there have any insights or interest?
    ……………
    Hello,
    My name is Randy I live in San Francisco California.
    We have recently sold our cabin in the mountains and have removed our vintage racing boat.
    We we were thinking about putting it on eBay for parts or as a display but are unsure if there still a market for such antique boats.
    Enclosed are a few pictures of our boat.
    It has been cut into three sections so it could be reassembled in our cabin as a display.
    It is obviously not a working item.
    If you could possibly take a moment to view the pictures and advise me I would appreciate it greatly.
    Thank you very much
    Randy
    randylear@gmail.com

matt1984
    Participant

Hi Randy,
    I’m sure someone would be interested in the boat. Yours appears to be old enough that George himself probably had a hand in supervising or building her. Is there a name on the boat? Do you know her history? It wouldn’t be entirely insane (just mostly) to try to put the boat back together, since she still appears to have all the pieces, except oars. Obviously, the boat is great decoration for a space with the right amount of room. The main challenge, as I see it, is logistical – how does someone get the boat from you to where they want it?

If you put it on eBay, beware the knuckleheads who try to scam you out of shipping money or holding something in ‘escrow’ or paying more than what you want.

They are beautiful hand made objects, and have value, but in a backwards, cultural richness kind of way. A fully assembled, old wood boat is next to useless to a competitive rowing program and difficult to maintain. For this reason they are rare, many of them having been trashed or are currently hanging from a restaurant ceiling.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Vintage Pocock’ is closed to new topics and replies.